Study Abroad With Erasmus+

The Erasmus Programme (“EuRopean Community Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students”) is the EU’s programme to support education, training, youth and sport in Europe.

Erasmus+ offers mobility and cooperation opportunities in

  • higher education
  • vocational education and training
  • school education (including early childhood education and care)
  • adult education
  • youth
  • and sport

Erasmus+ Higher Education is mainly a student exchange programme which also includes work placements in companies abroad and academic staff mobility. It operates in the framework of the EU Erasmus+ Programme which continues the good tradition of the Lifelong Learning Programme (LLP) and involves all EU countries as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Turkey.

Studying abroad is a central part of Erasmus+ and has been shown to have a positive effect on later job prospects. It is also a chance to improve language skills, gain self-confidence and independence and immerse yourself in a new culture.

The study period abroad can last a minimum of 2 months (or 1 academic term or trimester) and a maximum of 12 months. Students can also do a blended mobility, combining a virtual period with a physical short or long-term mobility.

Erasmus Mundus Design Measures

The 2021-2027 Erasmus+ programme sees the creation of a new lot within the Erasmus Mundus action, which aims to encourage the development of new, innovative, high-level integrated transnational study programmes at master’s level.

To study abroad with Erasmus+, you must be registered in a higher education institution and enrolled in studies leading to a recognised degree or tertiary-level qualification. For students in the first cycle, you need to be at least in the second year of your studies.

Your period of study abroad must be relevant for your degree-related learning and personal development needs, and be part of the study programme that you are following.

Your home institution and the receiving institution must have an inter-institutional agreement between them for you to study there with Erasmus+.

Both institutions must also hold the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (if they are in Programme countries). Institutions from Partner countries commit to the principles of the Charter when signing the inter-institutional agreements.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.